* This is a database of registered Newfoundland and Labrador Doctors.

Filing a Complaint

Filing a Complaint

To file a complaint about a doctor you must complete a Form.

Once the College has received your completed complaint form, we will send you a letter summarizing your complaint based on the information provided by you and confirming your intention to proceed.


Before Filing a Complaint, Please Note:
  • we cannot order financial compensation
  • we cannot provide diagnoses or treatment or order investigations
  • we cannot refer you to another doctor
  • we must share all relevant information about the complaint with the doctor
  • we only have the power to deal with complaints about the professional behaviour of doctors. We cannot accept complaints about:
    • hospitals, clinics or correctional facilities
    • medical professionals who are not doctors (e.g., nurses, dentists, pharmacists, psychologists, etc.)
Your Complaint is Sent to Your Doctor

 The College sends your complaint to the doctor and asks for a written response. When we get the reply, we send you a copy and give you an opportunity to respond. The complaint process can be stopped at this point. If you are satisfied with the doctor’s response, you can tell the College’s Professional Conduct Coordinator (in writing) that you want to withdraw your complaint. Or you may wish to continue to pursue the matter.


We Can Help Resolve Some Cases . . .

The College Registrar reviews your complaint file and may try to resolve matters to everyone’s satisfaction if you and the doctor agree to this approach. If that is not possible, your case moves to a College committee for further review.


Most Complaints go to the College’s Complaints Authorization Committee

This Committee is made up of members of the public and doctors. Its job is to decide if there are reasonable grounds to believe that a doctor has engaged in misconduct. In most cases, an investigator is appointed. The investigator can contact people and institutions who may have information about your complaint. This often includes obtaining copies of personal health records relating to the complaint.


Public Hearings Deal with the Most Serious Complaints

Public hearings are run by an appointed “tribunal”—three people who listen to evidence presented by the College and the doctor. The College presents your complaint and you may be called as a witness. The process is usually open to the public.